Cheesy chicken spaghetti casserole is delicious! I love chicken pasta meals. I can purchase whole chickens for everyday prices of $1.05 a pound, which is so much cheaper compared to boneless skinless chicken breasts. With this recipe I can stretch one whole chicken into two family dinners. I boiled my chicken whole, if you are in a hurry, you could use a deli rotisserie chicken, or cooked leftover chicken.
I subscribe to a bunch of cooking blogs, and love getting recipes delivered to my email every day. I love waking up and discovering new recipes to inspire me. The other morning I had this recipe in my inbox, and I thought to myself, “this sounds exactly like King Ranch Chicken Casserole but with pasta, minus the corn tortillas and rotel, why not make it with rotel?” So that’s what I did and it turned out amazing!
I served this chicken pasta dish with Everyone’s Favorite Italian Salad Dressing with balsamic vinegar.
Note: All the photos in this recipe are for a double batch of cheesy chicken spaghetti casserole. The recipe I’m putting up is for a single batch which is enough to serve the average family, trust me, this recipe makes a bunch!
Making Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
First I boiled a whole chicken until it was falling apart. This took about one hour. Then I transferred the chicken into a big bowl. I used a pair of tongs to loosen the meat from the bone to speed up the cooling down time needed to shred the chicken by hand. I then added a little more water to the pot the chicken was cooked in and put the pot on high to get the water boiling for the spaghetti noodles.
While the chicken was cooling down, I chopped up some onion and green bell pepper and sauteed them in a non-stick dutch oven with some butter.
When the onion and bell pepper softened, I added garlic and some spices (chili powder, oregano, and cumin) and cooked until fragrant, about a minute or two.
Next I added in the rotel, cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups and 3/4 cup water. I shredded the cooled down chicken and added that in too, along with a cup or so of shredded cheddar cheese.
Hopefully, your water is now boiling for the pasta. Add a little salt to the pasta water and cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Keep simmering the soup/chicken mixture to warm it all up and melt in the cheese, this should cut down on cooking time in the oven. This is what the chicken mix looked like at this point.
When the pasta is done, drain it and add the pasta to the soup/chicken mixture and stir it in to combine. Transfer the chicken spaghetti to a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
Cover the dish with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes or so. Take the foil off, top with some cheese and return to the oven for 15 minutes or so.
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- 1/2 a cooked whole chicken - shredded about 1.5 to 2 cups
- 1/2 large onion - chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper - chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 - 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 - 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 - 10 ounce can Rotel with juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 - 12 to 13 ounce box spaghetti noodles - I used Dreamfields
- 2-3 cups cheddar cheese
- Preheat to 350 degrees
- Cook chicken meat. If you are using a whole chicken, boil it for about an hour, and when it's cool enough to handle, shred it. This recipe calls for half a cooked chicken, or about two cups.
- In a large pot (or the pot the chicken was cooked in), put salted water on a burner on high for the pasta.
- In a separate dutch oven, or large pot, sautee chopped onion and green bell pepper in butter. When softened, add in the minced garlic, cumin powder, chili powder, and oregano. Cook two minutes or until fragrant.
- Add both soups, rotel with juices, and water to the onion/spice mixture. Stir in cooked shredded chicken and half the cheddar cheese. Keep simmering the soup mixture, while the pasta cooks.
- Add cooked drained pasta to the soup/chicken mix. Stir it in to combine.
- Transfer chicken/pasta mix to a casserole dish sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Cover pasta with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover, add more cheese on top, and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links.