Creamy King Ranch chicken casserole. This dish is so tasty, it’s a family favorite.
Whenever whole chickens go on sale, I like to make this dish. It’s so good! This recipe only calls for half a chicken, so you could easily stretch one whole chicken into two meals. If you are in a hurry, you could skip buying the fresh chicken and instead buy a rotisserie chicken. I’ve done that before with the $5 rotisserie chicken from Costco. This recipe is also great for using up leftover chicken.
I made this recipe as stated, it’s actually the first time I haven’t doubled the recipe. There were absolutely ZERO leftovers. We ate the King Ranch Chicken Casserole with some other leftovers that needed to be used up.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
In a large pot boil filled with water boil the chicken until it’s done, about one hour. Remove the chicken from the pot, let it cool, when it is cool enough to hand, shred the chick meat from the bone.
In a pot saute the onion with bell pepper. When the onion and bell pepper are soft and cooked add in the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, chicken broth, and Rotel (Rotel comes in mild, regular, and hot, if you like spicy food, go for the hot). Fold in the chicken.
This is what it’ll look like. It doesn’t look too appetizing at this point, but trust me, this is some fantastic stuff!
Assembling the King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Now it’s time to layer the casserole. Spray a casserole dish with some non-stick spray. I don’t bother to fry the corn tortillas, I cut them into pieces, like a pie.
- Corn tortilla
- King Ranch Chicken mix
- Cheese (I used taco cheese)
Then repeat, and repeat again. The casserole should end with cheese on top. and look something like this.
If you are interested in the history of the King Ranch, you can read more about it here. The story is actually a good short read.
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2 T butter
- 1 Onion - diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 - 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 - 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 - 10.5 oz can rotel
- 3/4 chicken broth
- 2-3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 10-12 corn tortillas - cut into 6 pieces each like a pie
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or taco cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a pot, saute onion and bell pepper in butter, until they are soft.
- Add minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, and oregano to pot, cook and stir for one minute.
- Stir in cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, rotel, and chicken broth into the onion pot.
- Fold chicken into soup mix pot.
- Spray a 9x13" pan with non stick spray.
- one third of the tortillas pieces
- one third meat mixture
- one third cheese
- Repeat two more times. The top layer should be cheese.
- Bake 30 - 40 minutes
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Check out these great chicken recipes: