Keto Jalapeno Poppers with Bacon
These keto jalapeno poppers with bacon are so good and disappear fast! Thick sliced bacon over a seeded jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and sharp cheddar, make the ultimate appetizer, perfect for game day!
I’ve been making these poppers for about 20 years. They taste so much better than breaded and fried jalapeno poppers. I’ve found I can never make enough poppers, everyone loves them.
Keto Jalapeno Poppers Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this amazing keto appetizer.
Picking Out Perfect Jalapenos
About 10 years ago, while I was picking out jalapenos at the grocery store, a sweet older Mexican woman came up to me and told me to never pick the jalapenos with stretch marks because they are the hottest ones.
Now I purposely try to avoid the stretch-marked jalapenos, but I still sometimes get really hot jalapenos. I think this may be an old wives’ tale?
How to Make Oven Baked Jalapeno Poppers with Bacon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Soften a block of cream cheese on the counter about 30 minutes before you start cooking. Preheat the oven to 375.
In a big bowl break up the cream cheese with a fork. Add a shake of garlic powder and salt to the cream cheese.
Once the cream cheese has softened, it’s time to add in the sharp cheddar cheese.
Using sharp cheddar makes a huge difference in the popper taste vs using mild cheddar or even taco cheese.
Get bacon ready for the oven. I use thick sliced bacon for this recipe.
Cut the bacon in half and lay it out on the baking sheet lined with foil for easy clean up.
Put the baking sheet in the oven and cook the bacon so it is just a little more than halfway cooked.
While the bacon cooks, combine the cream cheese with the cheddar cheese.
I use the back of the fork to really mash the cheddar into the cream cheese. The mixture will be very stiff.
Remove Seeds From Jalapenos
It’s time to seed the jalapenos. Be sure to wear gloves while doing this! Seriously, if you don’t wear gloves and end up touching your face later, it’s going to really burn. I’ve burned my eyes more times than I can count and it’s not fun at all!
Rinse off the jalapeno. Put gloves on and slice off a thin slice of the jalapeno. Take a teaspoon and scoop out the seeds. If the stems are long, I cut them back a little.
Using the back of the teaspoon, grab some of the cheese mixtures and stuff it in the seeded jalapeno.
I used 18 large jalapenos for this recipe, and the amount of cheese mixture was just perfect.
If your jalapenos are small you may need to buy more jalapenos.
All ovens are different, I have a convection oven and cooked the thick bacon 14 minutes to get it done to this point.
My oven is really old and maybe colder than it should be.
Remove the bacon to a plate with a few paper towels on it to absorb the grease.
Pour off the grease from the pan.
Transfer the stuffed jalapenos to the bacon pan.
Place a bacon slice (or two, if you cooked extra) on each jalapeno popper. Press the bacon into the cream cheese to “lock” it in place.
Put the jalapeno poppers back in the oven and cook them until the bacon is done.
Keep a close eye on the keto jalapeno poppers. This step should take 8-12 minutes.
The bacon needs to be fully cooked, but you don’t want to cook the bacon jalapeno poppers so long that the cheese bubbles out of the jalapenos.
Jalapeno Poppers with Bacon
- 18 large jalapenos
- 8 ounce cream cheese – softened
- 2.5 cups sharp cheddar
- 9 + pieces thick cut bacon – cook extra if you want more than once bacon slice per popper
- dash of garlic powder
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl blend a dash of salt and a dash of garlic powder with the cream cheese.
- Cut bacon slices in half and place on a backing sheet (with sides). Place in oven and cook until bacon is a little more than half way cooked. 10-18 minutes.
- While bacon is cooking get the poppers assembled. Combine 2.5 cups cheddar cheese with the cream cheese. This mixture will be very stiff, which is what you want.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of the jalapeno (length wise). With gloved hands, take a spoon and scoop out the seeds, taking care not to rip the jalapeno.
- Stuff the jalapenos with the cheese mixture.
- When bacon is a little more than half way cooked, remove it from oven, transfer bacon to a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Drain the bacon pan, and then place the stuffed jalapeno poppers on the bacon pan.
- Top the poppers with a slice of bacon (two slices if you cooked extra). Press the bacon into the cheese mixture a little to lock the bacon in place.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake 8-12 minutes or until the bacon is completely cooked. Watch the poppers closely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.