These stuffed mushrooms with sausage and cream cheese are low carb and are amazing! I’ve been making these Jimmy Dean stuffed mushrooms for over 20 years, and they are still a family favorite that everyone looks forward to eating.
This recipe is simple and easy to make; even a beginner could make this fantastic appetizer. So when you take these keto-friendly stuffed mushrooms to a family gathering or party, be prepared to share the recipe. The recipe is so simple to make that it’s hard to forget.
These mushrooms are perfect for Thanksgiving and Christmas appetizers. In addition, I make them sometimes for a side dish.
Can Stuffed Mushrooms Be Made Ahead?
Yes! I like making these ahead of time. Follow all the steps but do not bake the mushrooms. Thirty minutes before baking, remove the mushrooms from the refrigerator and let them sit on the counter to come to room temp.
Bake as per directions.
Equipment Need to Make These Amazing Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms with Cream Cheese
- Spatula or stirring utensil
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife
- Cake pan for baking
- Foil for an easy cleanup
- Paper towels for storage (if you have leftovers)
Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage and Cream Cheese Ingredients
- Medium-sized fresh mushrooms (I used 23)
- Jimmy Dean sausage
- Cream Cheese – room temp
- Grated cheese – I like to use pepper jack or taco cheese
How to Make Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage and Cream Cheese
In a skillet, brown the sausage.
When sausage is browned, add a block of room temp cream cheese. Continue to cook over medium until cream cheese is combined.
The sausage mixture should look similar to below.
Next, drain off fat. I like to tilt the skillet by propping up one side, so the fat drains to the other side. Finally, blot up grease with a paper towel.
Remove stems from mushrooms.
Fill each mushroom cap with the sausage mixture.
The amount of sausage mixture may vary depending on the mushroom size.
Return stuffed mushrooms with sausage and cream cheese to the cake pan and top with shredded cheese.
Bake stuffed mushrooms for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is browned to your liking.
I made these stuffed mushrooms with sausage and cream cheese with the Best Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe.
After 25 minutes the mushrooms looked like this.
Here’s what a stuffed mushroom looks like cut in half.
Stuffed Mushroom Variations
- Italian stuffed mushrooms – Use Italian sausage instead of Jimmy Dean
- Pizza stuffed mushrooms – Add a little pizza sauce to the cooked sausage. You could also add a bit of chopped pepperoni. Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese
- Sausage stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese and garlic – Add a few cloves of minced garlic to the cooked sausage—Cook the mixture for an additional minute or two.
- Pesto stuffed mushrooms. Fill mushroom caps with the sausage mixture and the top with a little prepared pesto.
- Spicy stuffed mushrooms. Add some pepper flakes or a little cayenne powder to the sausage while it cooks.
- Add 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese to the sausage mixture after cream cheese has melted into sausage.
- For color, add 1/4 cup fresh parsley to the sausage mixture or a tablespoon of dried.
- Add 3-4 green onions minced to the sausage when cooking.
How to Store Stuffed Mushrooms
The mushrooms will continue to release liquid as they sit. I store these mushrooms in a bowl on a paper towel folded in half. The paper towel will absorb the liquid from the mushrooms.
The Best Way to Reheat Stuffed Mushrooms
- I like to reheat stuffed mushrooms in the microwave. Reheat the mushrooms in a bowl or plate on top of a paper towel folded in half. The paper towel will absorb excess moisture.
- Warm-up for 30 seconds at a time. You don’t want to overheat the mushrooms.
What to Serve with Sausage and Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
- Erin’s Sheep Herder Dip – Spinach Artichoke Dip Without Mayonaise [Recipe coming soon]
- Easy Spicy Black Bean Dip
- 7 Layer Bean Dip Recipe – No cooking required
- Hot Taco Dip with Meat
How to Store and Clean Mushrooms
Easy Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage and Cream Cheese Recipe.Click To Tweet
Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage and Cream Cheese Recipe Card
Simple Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage and Cream Cheese
Delicious Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage and Cream Cheese. This recipe is low carb and loved by everyone! You can make this recipe ahead of time!
- 24 medium sized fresh mushrooms
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean sausage
- 1 - 8 oz block of cream cheese - room temp
- 1 cup grated taco cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add sausage to skillet and brown.
- While sausage browns prepare mushrooms. Line a cake pan with foil for easy clean-up. Remove stems from mushrooms.
- When sausage is browned, add in a block of cream cheese. Continue cooking until cream cheese is blended with sausage.
- Put skillet at an angle so grease drains to the lower side. Use a paper towel to blot up grease.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with sausage mixture.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until cheese is browned.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 3 mushrooms
Amount Per Serving Calories 334Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 91mgSodium 598mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 0gSugar 2gProtein 16g
Nutritional information may not be accurate and is for entertainment purposes only.