Is this Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Authentic?
This delicious Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe may not be authentic but it is still wonderful and ready in about 45 minutes!
If the idea of making a roux intimidates you this is your gumbo recipe! It’s lower in carbs and calories than traditional chicken sausage gumbo recipes.
If there are any leftovers, this gumbo makes an excellent work lunch.
What is Roux?
Roux is a mixture of butter or oil and flour, that’s browned and used for thickening soups, stews, and gravy recipes. Roux is cooked to different color levels, white all the way to dark brown depending on the recipe. Roux is thought to have been first invented in France.
A lot of people are intimidated when it comes to making Roux because if it’s not constantly stirred or whisked it can burn very easily. When Roux is burnt it’s best to start all over again with a new roux.
Authentic Gumbo recipes all have a roux, this recipe does NOT call for making a roux but I don’t think you will miss it. Best of all, this gumbo recipe is diet-friendly and will not make your pants tight!
Aidells Cajun Sausage is the Star of this Gumbo Recipe
Aidells Cajun Sausage is so darn tasty. I have never tried it sliced down the center and broiled in the oven like I would cook a polish dog from Costco but man do I want to try it.
Anyone that knows me knows how much I LOVE linguica, I love love love me some linguica! I think I love Aidells Cajun Sausage almost as much. This stuff is so good.
If Aidells Cajun Sausage isn’t available in your area, then feel free to use another quality brand cajun style andouille sausage.
Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe Ingredients
- Aidells Cajun Sausage
- Green Bell Pepper
- Minced Garlic
- Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- Canned Italian Tomatoes
- Better Than Base Chicken
- Drained Canned Chicken or Fresh Cooked Chicken
- Cajun Seasoning
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Basil
- Cayenne Powder
- Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil
- Frozen Sliced Okra
Equipment Used for This Chicken Gumbo Recipe
- Large Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chefs Knife
- Measuring Cup
- Nonstick Skillet
How to Cook Aidells Sausage for Gumbo
Slice the cajun sausages in half lengthwise and then slice them into bite-sized pieces. Brown cajun sausage pieces in a soup pot. You want the edges to get little brown bits, this is flavor and tastes amazing!
When sausage pieces are browned remove them to a paper towel-lined bowl. Remove all but one tablespoon of grease.
In the same soup pot, add diced celery and green bell pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes or until fragrant.
Next, add both cans of tomatoes, water, bullion, drained chicken, seasonings, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
Cooking Okra for Chicken Sausage Gumbo – Gets Rid of Slime
While soup cooks, cook okra. Don’t skip this step! Cooking the okra gets rid of all the slime that okra is known for. Alternatively, I have read that you can soak the okra in vinegar for 30 minutes, rinse and then pat dry. Supposedly this will also get rid of the slime but I’ve never tried an okra vinegar soak so I can’t comment if it works or not.
In a nonstick skillet add two tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add frozen sliced okra and cook, stirring often until okra is no longer slimy which should take about 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes or so the cooked okra should look something like below.
The Chicken and Sausage Gumbo should be ready about the same time as the okra is done cooking. Add okra to the chicken gumbo recipe.
Give the gumbo a good stir and cook a few more minutes.
Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe
- 2 packs Anidoulle Sausage Sliced
- 2 ribs Celery Sliced
- 1 ea Green Bell Pepper Seeded and Chopped
- 1 tea Garlic Minced
- 1 can Crushed Tomatoes 15 oz
- 1 can Whole Italian Tomatoes 15 oz
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Better Than Base Chicken
- 1 can Canned Chicken `12.5 oz Drained
- 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tea Salt
- 1/4 tea Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 tea Dried Basil
- 1/4 tea Cayenne Powder
- 1/4 tea Black Pepper
- 1 bag Frozen Sliced Okra
- 2 tbsp Canola or Avocado Oil
- In a large stockpot, brown sliced andouille sausage In a tablespoon of oil. When Sausage Is browned, remove the sausage slices to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add chopped celery and bell peppers to the stockpot. Saute until done. Add-In garlic and saute for a minute or two.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the stockpot EXCEPT for the OKRA. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While Chicken and Sausage Gumbo simmers, In a nonstick skillet add one tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add sliced okra and cook stirring every couple of minutes for about 20 minutes or until the slime Is gone.
- Add okra to gumbo. Cook five minutes or so. Taste for seasoning and serve.
If you like this recipe be sure to check out these other great recipes:
- Easy Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Amazing Keto Mexican Salad Recipe with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- How to Make Good Scrambled Eggs – Healthy Scrambled Eggs
- Authentic Carnitas Recipe
- How to Make Authentic Refried Beans
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.