These keto grilled cheese with ham and bacon “sandwiches” are easy to make and taste amazing. Are you following a low-carb diet but miss grilled cheese sandwiches?
These are keto grilled cheese “sandwiches” without bread. Deli ham takes the place of the bread.
The results are delicious melted cheese and browned ham.
Adding bacon to the sandwich is always a good idea.
Equipment Need to Make Keto Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Ham
- Non stick skillet
- Spatula – for flipping
Ingredients to Make Keto Grilled Cheese
- Deli sliced ham – I used three pieces of thinly sliced ham per side.
- Deli sliced cheese – Use your favorite, I used swiss cheese. You could also use your favorite shreaded cheese but using shredded cheese could make the sandwiches hard to flip unless you make sure the cheese is melted before flipping.
- Perfectly cooked bacon. I cooked the bacon in oven at 375 for about 17 minutes.
Mix It Up – Keto Grilled Cheese Options
Make this keto grilled cheese sandwich your own way! The possibilities are endless! Pick one or more items from each column.
|Cheese Options||Deli Meat |
|Swiss Cheese||Ham||Sliced Tomatoes|
|Cheddar Cheese||Turkey||Roasted Peppers|
|Pepper Jack Cheese||Roast Chicken||Turkey Bacon|
|Havarti Cheese||Roast Beef||Baby Spinach Leaves|
|Mozzarella Slices||Fried Egg|
What To Serve With Grilled Cheese Without Bread
- The keto classic combo – this Keto Grilled Cheese recipe and Low Carb Tomato Soup recipe.
- Quick Healthy Chopped Cabbage Salad
- 10 Minute Cheesy Low Carb Tortilla Pizza Recipe – This is what I ate with this keto grilled cheese sandwich. I was just using what I had on hand and let me tell you, the combo, while not traditional, was delicious!
- This quick Keto Thai WonTon Soup – This recipe is amazing, low carb, and only takes 15 minutes to make!
How to Make Keto Grilled Cheese With Bacon and Ham
For the best results, deli meats should be sliced thin.
Lay three slices of thinly sliced deli ham in a non stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Top ham slices with a slice of your favorite sliced cheese.
Top the cheese with a layer of perfectly cooked bacon.
Top cooked bacon with another layer of cheese. I like to break this cheese up so it melts quicker and locks the bacon in place.
Top the cheese with another three slices of thinly sliced ham.
In the photo above, you can see I made two keto grilled cheese sandwiches.
I made a whole one for my husband and half a grilled cheese for myself.
Before flipping, make sure the cheese has melted a little, this locks the bacon in.
If you are worried about flipping the grilled cheese over and dropping the bacon then make half sandwiches. Halves are a little easier to handle.
Oven Baked Chicken Wing Recipes
- Spicy Oven Keto Korean Fried Chicken Wings
- The Best Spicy Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- Easy 3 Ingredient Dry Rub Baked Chicken Wings
Flip the keto sandwiches over and continue to cook until the cheese has melted and the ham is nice and browned.
You will need to flip them a few times to get the level of browned ham just perfect.
What Should You Do If You Still Want A Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Bread? Make Chaffles
- Make a white bread bread chaffle – In a small mixing bowl combine the following. Mix until blended.
- 1 egg (or two egg whites for a less “eggy” taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese + additional cheese
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Heat a Dash Mini waffle maker. When the light indicated the waffle maker is ready, spray the top and bottom cooking heating plates of the waffle maker with non stick spray.
- Add a thin layer of shredded cheese to the waffle maker. This is what makes the chaffle crispy.
- Add HALF the batter and top with a little more shredded cheese.
- Close the waffle maker and let it do it’s thing.
- When the waffle maker light showes the chaffle is done, cook an additional minute.
- Remove the chaffle from the waffle maker and repeat with the remaining batter until you have two chaffles.
- Use these chaffles as bread when making your keto grilled cheese sandwich.
How to Make Grilled Cheese Without Bread?
To make a grilled cheese without bread, use lunch meat for the bread. Put down a few slices of lunch meat in a nonstick skillet. Add cheese and then more slices of lunch meat. Cook until cheese is melted and meat has browned.
What’s a Keto Alternative to Grilled Cheese?
Use lunch meat in place of bread. In a skillet layer, lunch meat, sliced cheese and then top lunch meat. Cook over medium-high until cheese has melted and lunch meat has browned. Enjoy!