This Thai Chicken Asparagus recipe was inspired by our recent YELP find in Red Bluff, CA. We ate at a little restaurant called Janya Thai Delight. Everything served at this Thai restaurant is amazing, but the restaurant is very far away from my house so I figured I’d try and recreate the dish on my own. My version of Thai Chicken Asparagus turned out great if I do say so myself. 😀
No Fish Sauce Thai Chicken Asparagus
There are many recipes for Thai Chicken Asparagus online, but I needed one that didn’t contain fish and or oyster sauce (due to allergy issues). It seems like most Thai recipes I’ve found online contain either fish sauce or oyster sauce. I’ve read soy sauce can replace fish sauce. Trust me, if you try this recipe, I don’t think you’ll miss the fish sauce, and if you do, then feel free to add some.
Thai Chicken Asparagus Add Ins
I’ve seen many people put carrots in their version of this recipe. I probably would have too, but I didn’t have any on hand and thanks to a recent Costco trip, I had lots of asparagus to cook. The original version of this dish I had at the Thai restaurant did have carrots in it. I’ve also seen some versions which contain chopped nuts, which would probably be a nice addition.
This recipe makes a lot of sauce which is perfect served over rice. Rice can be a pain to cook, especially brown rice, but it’s so easy with a rice cooker. In 2013, I purchased the model shown below, which has a Gaba brown rice setting. I measure out the rice, rinse it a few times, add in the proper amount of water and push the setting I want, depending on what type of rice I’m cooking. Press start and the cooker will keep the rice warm, so you don’t have to worry about timing. It’s so easy!
What is Gaba brown rice? “This is not a new variety of brown rice, but a newly discovered way of cooking brown rice to “activate” it and increase natural occurring gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), an amino acid in brown rice believed to have health giving properties such as lowering blood pressure, improving kidney function and relieving stress. The brown rice is “activated” by soaking it at 104°F for 2 hours before the actual cooking begins.”
Thai Chicken Asparagus
- 3 pounds chicken breast - cut into thin bite sized slices
- 1 onion - cut half and then cut into slivers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2-4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 bunches asparagus - cut into 2" pieces
- 6 cloves garlic - minced
- 1-2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- salt and pepper
- In a large non stick skillet add two tablespoons oil. Add asparagus and onion, cook over medium high until asparagus and onion are tender crisp, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook one or two minutes. Transfer the asparagus mix into a large bowl.
- Add more oil to the skillet. Add chicken to the skillet and season chicken with salt. Cook until chicken is done. Stir in chicken broth, soy sauce, and chile garlic sauce. Bring to a boil and cook a few minutes.
- In a small bowl combine four tablespoons water with four tablespoons cornstarch. Stir well to combine the two. Pour the cornstarch mix into the cooked chicken. Stir in the asparagus, onion, garlic mix. Simmer a few minutes to thicken the sauce and get the asparagus warmed up.
- This would be great served with rice.
- In a small bowl combine chicken broth and soy sauce
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links.
More Great Easy Asian Inspired Recipes
- Chinese Fried Rice Recipe for Rice Cooker
- Keto Korean Beef and Vegetable Bowl
- Easy Thai Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Easy Better Than Deli Italian Cauliflower Salad
- Spicy Chopped Salad Recipe
How to Trim Asparagus
Monday 19th of August 2019
This looks aMAZing! I’m totally making this with Meatless Griller Strips when our asparagus comes in in the spring! The people put carrots in their version of this recipe. this is a good product. the product is very helping.
Friday 29th of January 2016
This looks aMAZing! I'm totally making this with Meatless Griller Strips when our asparagus comes in in the spring!
Friday 29th of January 2016
I think the recipe would be great with Meatless Griller Strips.
Marian, I don't know if you follow Delightful Delicious Delovely or not, but the actress/author/blogger posts so many amazing vegetarian recipes!