I made this savory cajun cube steak recipe last night for dinner. It was so good, and different from anything I’ve made lately. Everyone loved it!
I served this cube steak on top of brown rice, which I cooked in my Zojirushi rice cooker. If you don’t have a rice cooker, you owe it to yourself to at least check them out. Go read some reviews on amazon. A rice cooker takes all the stress out of cooking brown rice, and rice cookers will keep your rice warm until it’s time to eat. I also made a quick chopped salad with my absolute favorite salad dressing ever with balsamic vinegar. What a fantastic dinner!
I really love oven steak recipes like this one because while the dish is cooking in the oven, I can do all the dishes and clean up the kitchen. I also have time to make side dishes.
How to Make This Savory Cajun Cube Steak Recipe
I like to use a piece of foil to lay the cube steaks on. Season both sides of steaks with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic powder.
In a pie dish combine one cup of flour with one teaspoon of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Coat both sides of steaks with the flour mixture. In a skillet heat up about 1/2″ of vegetable oil over medium.
Test the oil to see if it’s hot enough by dropping a pinch of flour into the oil. If the flour bubbles, you are ready to start browning the steaks in the oil. Keep in mind, the steaks will cook over an hour in the oven, so they don’t need to be completely cooked in the oil, we’re just browning them. Cook steaks in batches. I cooked them for four minutes per side, and then drained the cooked steaks on a paper towel lined plate.
Cube Steak Recipe Gravy
In a large bowl whisk together the ingredients for the gravy. Paprika, cajun seasoning, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, Lipton onion soup mix, beef broth, and a big can (or two small cans) of cream of mushroom soup.
While the steaks are still cooking, prepare the casserole dish. Spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray. I used a big 15×10 pyrex casserole dish, like this one. It’s clear, so it’s not showing up to well in the pictures. Layer thinly sliced onion rings in the casserole dish. I used two large white onions. I recommend cutting the rings in half (I didn’t do that, as you can see in the photo, but I will cut them in half when I make this recipe next time).
Top the onion slices with one thinly sliced bell pepper. My husband did the all the slicing for me, what a good guy!
Top onion/pepper mix with the browned cube steaks.
Then top the meat with the gravy mixture. Cover tightly with foil and bake, at least, an hour @ 350. If you have time, cook for one hour and 20 minutes.
Served the savory cajun cube steak over rice or mashed potatoes. Yum!
- 3 pounds cube steaks
- salt & black pepper
- vegetable oil
- ----------------------- Breading Ingredients
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ----------------------- Gravy Ingredients
- 2 - 10-ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 envelope Lipton's onion soup mix
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large onions - thinly sliced into rings and cut in half
- 1 green bell - thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat about ½" of vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Season cube steaks with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a pie dish combine one cup of flour with one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of black pepper.
- Dredge both sides of cube steaks in flour mixture.
- Cook cube steaks in hot oil, 4 minutes per side. The steaks will fully cook in the oven, at this point you are just browning them. Drain steaks on paper towels
- While steaks are cooking whisk together gravy ingredients in large mixing bowl. Both cans of cream of mushroom soup, Lipton's soup mix, 2 cups beef broth,1 teaspoon paprika, 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning and 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Spray large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer thinly sliced onions, top with thinly sliced bell pepper.
- Top onion mixture with browned cube steaks.
- Pour gravy over the steaks.
- Tightly wrap in foil and cook at least one hour, preferably 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links.