This is an easy spicy black bean dip recipe. Throw ingredients into a food processor or blender, pour into a pie plate, or oven safe bowl, top with cheese and warm it up @ 350 degrees in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Another options would be to transfer the black bean dip to a small slow cooker and warm it for a few hours.
I made this recipe as a snack for my husband and four kids (25, 19, 18, & 15). I felt like cooking something different, and was looking around for what I had on hand, and this recipe is the result. They cleaned it up, nothing was left. This black bean dip is very similar to something my local Mexican restaurant serves with chips and salsa.
If you like your food spicy, you could easily add another jalapeno. I only had two on hand, but when I make this recipe again, I will probably use three or four jalapenos. If you don’t care for cilantro, then leave it out.
The recipe didn’t turn out very thick, which isn’t a bad thing, I think next time I make it I may substitute the sour cream for cream cheese. I’m not sure though because the black bean dip tastes amazing as is. I didn’t take much time draining the can of Rotel, next time I’ll really squish the liquid out of the Rotel.
How to Make Spicy Black Bean Dip
First I seeded the jalapenos and threw them in my food processor with the garlic cloves. I like to chop up the jalapenos first so that all the pieces are nice and small.
Next, I added two cans of drained rinse black beans, cilantro, cheese, salt, cumin, lime juice, garlic powder, and a little cayenne powder.
Then I added in a can of drained Rotel and some sour cream. As you can see in this picture, I could have done a better job of draining the Rotel. Don’t be lazy like me, take the time to really drain your Rotel. 😀 Push pulse a few times.
Transfer to a deep dish pie plate sprayed with non-stick spray and top black bean dip with more cheese. I’m using a taco blend.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Serve Spicy Black Bean Dip With….
- Tortilla Chips
- Nacho Rings
- 2 cans black beans - rinsed and drained
- 2-4 jalapeños - seeded and cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
- ½ cup cilantro (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 can Rotel - well drained
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 cup taco cheese or cheddar cheese - divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In food processor combine peeled garlic cloves and seeded jalapenos. Pulse to blend.
- Next, add rinsed and drained cans of black beans, salt, cumin, cilantro, garlic powder, cayenne powder, lime juice, and ½ cup of cheese. Pulse to blend.
- Add one can of well drained Rotel, and sour cream. Pulse to blend.
- Transfer to spicy black bean dip to a deep dish pie plate sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Top dip with more cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips.