The dressing is so yummy and easy to put together. Bacon, Romain lettuce, corn, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, and avocado, tossed in a yummy cilantro dressing, what could be better? This dish is perfect for hot summer nights when it’s too hot to be in the kitchen cooking.
This is one of my favorite salads ever! This chopped salad recipe is a huge hit at my house, all six of us love it, and there are never any leftovers. One of my daughters isn’t a big vegetable eater, and she begs me to make this salad for dinner. When we eat this salad sometimes I’ll make a lasagna to go along with the salad, but the salad is substantial enough to be eaten alone.
This recipe makes a lot of salad! If you are feeding a small family, I recommend storing the salad ingredients separately, and then tossing everything together with tongs right before you eat it.
This is how I like to cut romaine lettuce for salads. Remember, you want the pieces to be bite sized. For a long time I didn’t really care for salad, but chopping up the lettuce made all the difference, now I can’t get enough of salad!
- 3 heads of romaine lettuce (I buy them in a prepackaged bag)
- 1 can of corn - drained
- 1 basket of cherry tomatoes - tomatoes cut in half
- 1 container feta cheese (4 or 6 ounces)
- 8 slices bacon - cooked and crumbled
- ½ red or white onion - thinly sliced
- 2 or 3 avocados
- Cut up the lettuce, place in a big bowl, and toss in the feta cheese. If you think you'll have leftovers, then keep all the other salad ingredients separate, it'll store fresher this way. If you are feeding a bunch of people, go ahead and toss everything together.
- Prepare the dressing.
- In a large bowl put an individual serving of lettuce/feta mix, add some corn, tomatoes, bacon, and onion slices. You could also add in some chopped avocado now, or you could just top the salad with avocado. Add two or three tablespoons of the dressing and toss with tongs. Transfer to a serving plate.
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled
- 2 bunches cilantro - big stems removed
- ½ cup lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons red vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Blend all the dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Broken up tortilla chips
Canned drained & rinsed black beans
Chopped bell peppers
Drained garbanzo beans
Chopped hard boiled eggs
Sliced black olives
Cooked diced leftover chicken
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.